Wednesday, November 19, 2008

I'm taking it as a complement!

So apparently I am a "Craft Whore". Shella (my friend at work, the one with the ripped up folders) keeps calling me that. She says it is because I am always doing anything and everything crafty! I can't help it, it is my nature. I am the type of person that when I see something I'm always thinking "I can make that" or I like dissecting it in my mind and figuring out how to put it together. And I do admit that I love being crafty and creative!

Like at work, we do have busy spells but we work 8pm-7am so there is down time. I like to make that down time "Craft Time" Last time we made some awesome Harry Potter Wands using this tutorial. BTW I love love love this site!

We did a few things differently though.

Instead of using double sided tape we used Mod Podge on the corner (about 1 1/2 inches in) to seal the tube.

And instead of filling the wand "shell" with hot glue, we stuffed it with some scrap paper and shoved it in really good with the end of our paint brush.

Then we used the hot glue to fill the top and bottoms. Another tip is dip your finger in water and then smooth out the hot glue, it doesn't leave prints and the glue doesn't stick to you!

After we got the design on it in hot glue we sealed it with a layer of Mod Podge. Then painted with Acrylic Paint. We couldn't use spray paint since we had to stay at our desks.

I also did a "leather" handle by painting a few strips of paper and wrapping the bottom, kept it down with a little bit of Mod Podge (I seriously love this stuff)

And finally here are some of the finished ones that I made:



Close ups:




1 comment:

Anne-Marie said...

Those are some sweet looking Harry Potter wands. Very cool =)